Tuesday, February 17, 2015

JOURNAL 3: If You're Reading This, Its Too Late

The surprise drop of Drakes new mixtape If You're Reading This Its Too Late has left quite and earthquake of controversy in the music industry.  According to Pitchfork rumors have been circling that this mixtape marks Drakes separation from the Cash Money Records label.  But what does this have to do with this blog? Rewind to the first post, mentioning rapper and motocross racer Justin Bogle.  He was the topic for a review of Drakes new album at last weeks Arlington Texas Supercross race. I didn't discover the album until I browsed my favorite motocross websites and I just so happened to find an article on Pitchfork also reviewing the mixtape.



Justin Bogles favorite tracks off If You're Reading This

As I listen to the tracks while writing this post it shares many of the same trends in rap music this year.  But it has the unique language and tone in which Drake presents his lyrics.  I am a biased Drake fan, but I don't like all of his music.  However, I would have to say this album is at the top of my desire to listen list.

 "Music is the real joy for Drake, and If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late is best enjoyed as an exercise in the casual excellence of the artist as rhymer and purveyor of hooks. The vocals are often just vampy flow experiments, but at their best these verses exhibit the weightless exhilaration of a technician at work. " Pitchfork

Drake uses his lyrics in many of the songs to call out his frienemies as well as to respond to accusations and trash talk by others in the industry. He wastes no time to cleverly throw a little trash back at his critics. The once Degrassi star has beyond inflated the rap industry. I believe the title is a stab at once label owner Birdman and this is the beginning of a new era for Drake and his colleagues who will join his new venture. Dropping this track on the anniversary of his famous So Far Gone album is just a sign of something new to shock the scene. 


1 comment:

  1. I listen to some Drake songs, but don't know much about the background of his music. I think it's cool that you are so into the music that you listen to. Like personally the reason I listen to music is so that I can dance. I have been dancing since I was 4 so I have also been taught and told to interpret the music the way I want to dance to it or dance someone else's choreograph so it was their interpretation of the song not the artists, so I never did much research or cared to much about what the artist felt when they wrote the song I just wondered about how to express the song through dance. Looking back I wish I would have because I think that it would have been beneficial toward my dancing.

    ReplyDelete